- Provides the artist with money
- Talent Scouting and development of artists.
- Manages band/artist.
- Production, Manufacture, distribution of record.
- Marketing and promotion.
- Copyright protection.
Major Record Labels
- The big three record labels are Sony BMG, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.
- Can at any one time represent 75% of the music sold within a year.
Minor/Independent Record Labels
- A smaller record label that operates without funding of the big four.
- Many big artists begin their careers on minor labels.
- Generally allows more artistic freedom and control.
- Merge Records, Lost Highway, 4ad, Domino, Rough Trade.